Teacher: Mrs. Wynveen (grade 6), Mrs. Subat (grade 7), Ms. Vandoske (grade 8)
Teaching Materials or Text(s): Reading Workshop model
Syllabus Highlights: Reading Workshop in the middle school is an enhancement of the Units of Study for Teaching Reading by Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth, and Zoë White that students learned in elementary school. Based on extensive reading research, reading workshop provides students with:
- explicit and direct instruction in the skills and strategies of proficient reading,
- time to read high interest books that they can read with fluency, accuracy, and comprehension,
- time to talk about books which ramps up comprehension,
- access to a variety of texts, and
- assessment that individualizes and tailors instruction based on student need.
Reading is taught through demonstration, scaffolding, and guided practice.