Below are some highlights from the State Solo/Ensemble Competition:
- The band was represented with 8-1st ratings and 3-2nd ratings. The choir members received 6-1st and 8-2nd ratings.
- Sammi Jentsch received an exemplary award for her Eb clarinet solo. This is the highest award that a student can earn. It not only receives a 1st rating, but is put into a pool for a chance to play at the state music teachers convention next October. An exemplary award means that Sammi was one of the best 2 performances that her judge heard all day.
- Jesse Rogers competed in 7 events at state across band and choir. Some schools that participated at State only had 7 events total, and Jesse had 7 events himself!
- Shelby Lutz received a 1st rating playing solos on two different instruments: Flute & Tenor Saxophone. This is a very rare accomplishment. Not many high school students across the state can play at that high of a level on two different instruments.
- All large groups (Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, and Saxophone Choir) received 1st ratings at state. This involved 35 different students in the band.
- The Guys’ Show Choir received a 1st at the State level, which is a great achievement, considering they choreographed the dance piece all on their own! It should also be noted that this all-male ensemble was the only one of its kind to perform at UW-Milwaukee. The judge noted that he couldn’t help but laugh and admire their “grand finale” kick-line, no matter HOW terrible it looked! Our guys were able to pull off a fantastic musical performance as well as give their audience an unending supply of laughter and smiles throughout the performance. They worked incredibly well as a team this year and their State results are reflective of this!
Congratulations to all of your State Solo/Ensemble participants.