The Wisconsin Association of School Boards has set Oct. 1-7 as Wisconsin School Board Week. This week provides an opportunity to build awareness and understanding of the vital function an elected board of education plays in our communities. @Oostburgschools is joining all public school districts across the state to celebrate Wisconsin School Board Week honoring local board members for their commitment to Oostburg and its children.
Strong schools are part of a foundation which builds a strong community, and our board members give countless hours to ensure we will fulfill our mission of growing students who learn at high levels allowing them to become positive contributors to society and our world. Our board members invest time studying education issues, local policy, and state legislation in order to provide the kind of accountability our citizens expect.
Our school board works to raise student achievement by:
• Creating a vision and setting policy grounded in what the community wants the school district to be and for making student achievement the top priority;
• Establishing standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
• Ensuring progress is measured to be sure the district’s goals are achieved and students are learning at expected levels;
• Creating a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
• Forming partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems; and
• Focusing attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to
School board members give the Oostburg citizens a voice in education decision making. Even though we make a special effort to show our appreciation in October, their contribution is a year-round commitment.”
The members serving our district are as follows:
Jim Swart – President
Dr. Eric Hartman – Vice President
Wendy DenBoer – Clerk
Terry Lemkuil – Treasurer
Deb Harmeling – Member
Jack Stokdyk – Member
Mari Kretz – Member
Please join me in thanking our board members for serving our children and community!