We’d like to introduce you to our next Elementary School principal, Aaron White.
Monthly Archives: June 2016
Congratulations to the Oostburg High School class of 2016! Our District celebrated the accomplishments of our senior class with a commencement program on Sunday afternoon, June 5. During the program we recognized 75 seniors who earned $1,078,090 in scholarships. This represents the highest scholarship amount earned in the last three years and one of our highest totals by a senior class. It is just as noteworthy that 39 of our 75 graduates received a scholarship of some amount. In addition, this year was the first commencement ceremony where we recognized graduates that contributed over 60 hours of community service through our Key Club. Seven seniors met this mark and wore a red and black community service cord with their graduation gown in recognition of their service.
We are proud of our graduates and their contributions to Oostburg. My message during graduation was focused around a popular country song sung by Tim McGraw called Humble and Kind. I shared that although our learning in English, math, science, social studies, technology, PE, and the arts, are all important, they pale in comparison to our desire to graduate young people who are humble and kind. In a world where kindness can be seen as weakness and bullying and cruelty are often the norm, particularly from some of our most prominent leaders, I am confident that this year’s graduating class has the ability to effect real change by how they choose to treat others. Our staff has watched this class grow and lead with humility and kindness, and now those qualities will begin to reach out beyond our community as our seniors take the next step in their journey.
Thank you seniors and best wishes!
We have had a great week of celebration, in and outside of the classroom. Many students have shared with me how they’ve mastered specific goals. Others are working diligently to get their goals mastered by the end of next week. One student told me her goal was to master one math target per each day we have left of school. I love to hear about each and every goal. I love it that our students are so aware of their learning and their progress along the way. We’ve all worked really hard this year, and each student should be pleased with their accomplishments.
I’d like to thank all of our volunteers who have been in and out of our school the last few weeks. It’s great to see the community in our building to participate in events such as our Summertime Café, field trips, and presentations. Our students just love to have familiar faces in the building and participating in these big events. Your involvement enhances each student’s education in unique ways. Thank you for making it a priority.
We have a few housekeeping reminders as you get ready to wrap up the school year:
- Report cards will be mailed home this year. In order to reduce mailing costs, teachers will be sending writing samples and rubrics home with students (normally with the report card). Please be sure to check your child’s backpack for this important information.
- Please check the lost and found. I’m shocked by how many really nice items have been abandoned. We’ll be donating any leftover items once school is out.
- There is still time to sign up for summer school. Registration forms can be found in the Friday Folder section of the website.
- Please watch for upcoming registration materials. I know no one wants to think about the 16-17 school year yet, but summer always flies by. Please be vigilant about getting this accomplished, so we can do our best to be ready for September.
- The last day of school is a full day.
Please continue to stay in communication with us regarding any questions or concerns. We are still full on for the next week and welcome parent communication.
Have a great weekend!